Click to view live stats for this site

Friday, July 10, 2009

'I don't want to be sexy, I'm grungy and weird': Peaches Geldof strikes her own blow for the feminist cause

'I don't want to be sexy, I'm grungy and weird': Peaches Geldof strikes her own blow for the feminist causeSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Peaches Geldof's daily fashion choices are preserved for posterity by the paparazzi, analysed by fashion experts and copied by countless teenagers.

But the 20-year-old says she doesn't try to 'look sexy' when she picks her clothes - and even tries to be 'anti-beauty'.

But despite her comments Peaches must be hoping that her 'weird' style appeals to others - her first clothing line for the label PPQ went on sale today.

Anti-beauty: Peaches out in London on Friday; the socialite says she doesn't dress for men
Anti-beauty: Peaches Geldof out in London on Friday; the socialite says she doesn't dress for men

'It's obvious I'm not dressing for men,' she said. 'I don't want to be sexy. I'm like covered in tattoos. I have piercings.

'I'm just grungy and weird and not what is socially accepted as beautiful, and I think that's cool.'


Peaches, whose late mother Paula Yates was known for her overly sexy style, says she sees her stance as a 'feminist issue'.

However, those comments sit very uncomfortably with some of her raunchier poses for the Ultimo underwear for young people, which sold out following her campaign.


Not trying to be sexy: peaches, seen in a modelling shot, says she's 'covered in tattoos and piercings'

Not trying to be sexy: Peaches, seen in a modelling shot, says she's 'covered in tattoos and piercings'

Peaches
Peaches Geldof
Working hard: Peaches on promotional shoots

In an interview with the Times, she reveals that she admires: 'The women who were championing things that were different.

'I loved Winona Ryder in her Beetle Juice and Heathers era and even when I saw Angelina Jolie on the red carpet, like, years before that Hollywood makeover and everyone was so weirded out because she had long, weird nails and a long, weird dress on.

'And that's what I think is amazing. Anti-beauty. I don't want to dress for men, I think it's almost like a feminist thing.'

Peaches and Pixie Geldof

Unique style: With sister Pixie at the Bruno premiere last month

Peaches is thought to currently be single, following her short-lived marriage to American rocker Max Drummey of Chester French.

Over the past 12 months, Peaches has been splitting her time between London and the US, where she writes a fashion column for Nylon magazine.

She has been cast as a murder victim in an independent low-budget slasher film called Cross Country.

Peaches is also writing a book of short stories, working as an underwear model, and as an 'ambassador' for the May Fair hotel.

Grungy: Peaches shows off her 'anti-beauty' style at Glastonbury


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Loading